Study Permit

Study Permits are for Foreign Nationals who wish to study at an educational institution in Canada. Dependents (either a spouse or children), of those who are temporarily residing in Canada are required to obtain a Study Permit in order to Study in Canada. These dependents will receive a Study Permit which has the same validity as the holder of the Work Permit or Temporary Resident Permit.

Minor children who are planning on attending pre-school, primary school or secondary school are not required to obtain a Study Permit, (except for children who are accompanying their parents who hold Temporary Resident Visas). All Foreign Nationals who have attained the age of majority at the time of application must obtain a Study Permit to attend any educational institution.

In order to apply for the Study Permit, the Foreign National must provide proof of acceptance into an approved institution, evidence of sufficient funds to pay for tuition and living costs, and demonstrate the intention to return home upon the completion of studies. Typically, the Foreign National will receive a Study Permit which is valid for one year. The Foreign National will have to apply for a renewal of the Study Permit at the end of each school year.
As of June 1, 2014, most Foreign Nationals in Canada studying full time on a valid study permit will no longer require a work permit in order to work off-campus. Full-time students will be permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during the regular academic year and will be permitted to work full-time during regularly scheduled breaks from school.
Foreign Nationals who plan to visit Canada for more than six (6) months, and who have resided in certain countries within a year prior to their arrival in Canada will be required to undergo a medical examination prior to being granted a Study Permit.

A Foreign National, who holds a Study Permit, is not covered under the Provincial Health Coverage plans. We strongly suggest that you obtain private insurance to cover you during your stay in Canada.

For detail information you may visit our office or contact us.