Federal Skilled Trade Program

As of January 2015, CIC introduced a new system for people to apply to this program. It is called Express Entry.
The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for people who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.

To be eligible, the applicant must

• Plan to live outside the province of Quebec
• Meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening).
• Have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before someone applies.
• Meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), except for needing a certificate of qualification.
• Have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority.